Carnitas Taco Bake
This is one of those easy meals you can make on a lazy Sunday or during the week since you cook the carnitas in the crock pot all day. To stretch it out over two days, buy an extra half pound or so of pork and make tacos with the carnitas on the first day. It is SO delicious you will want to eat the pork right out of the crock pot! You could add my Best Black Beans as a taco topper. Prep time: 8.5 hours for pork in the crock pot and 10 minutes for the bake. It cooks for about half an hour.
For the carnitas you will need:
- About 3 (or so) lbs. of pork shoulder (see mine pictured below)
- 2 cups of chicken or turkey stock (I LOVE the Trader Joe's turkey stock)
- Salt and pepper to season the pork as it cooks
- One packet of taco seasoning (we used Taco Bell)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
For the bake you will need:
- The pork from above when it's done)
- One 14.5 oz box of rotini noodles (we use whole wheat or protein enriched)
- One 16 oz package of shredded cheddar cheese
- One can of cream of chicken soup
- One can of enchilada sauce
- One can of tex-mex diced tomatoes
Directions for cooking the carnitas:
- Place pork in crock pot with chicken stock
- Season pork with salt and pepper
- Cook 8 hours on high. I usually try to flip it about half way through or so.
- Shred the pork
- Add taco seasoning, cumin, and garlic and mix it in
- Let simmer on low for another half an hour
- Pork is ready for tacos or for the next step
Directions for the carnitas bake:
- Grease 9x13 pan
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook the pasta per the directions on the box but leave slightly under done (al dente if you will)
- Combine pasta, 2/3 of the cheese, enchilada sauce, cream of chicken, tomatoes and mix
- Pour pasta mixture into the greased pan
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top
- Bake for about half an hour until bubbly and beginning to brown
Serve! I usually serve with a little cilantro and a bit of sour cream. This recipe is so good you hardly need it.
My kids liked this, especially Cameron. Terry and I couldn't stop picking at the pork once it was done. It was delicious and we are definitely going to make it again soon!
I served it with my Best Black Beans. I linked to it for you.